Falsehoods Programmers Believe About Signup Pages
Signup pages: More complex than you think!
Nearly every product starts with a sign up page and they have a huge impact on revenue, a 10% drop in people signing up successfully is a 10% drop in revenue.
We have collected some data backed falsehoods that we have come across for sign up pages.
User Identifiers and Input
Asking for more information is always better:
- Hubspot has a great study showing the impact of each additional input.
One account maps to one person:
- Accounts can represent a whole company, a family or another group of people
- Up to 45% of accounts are shared
- B2B is not immune with 34% of people admitting to sharing accounts with colleagues
Emails are always prefilled
- 34% of signups have their email prefilled
Phone numbers are always prefilled.
- 17% of signups have their phone number prefilled
Users always save the password.
- Logins are only prefilled 45% of the time
Users won't forget/lose their passwords.
Users always enter their email correctly.
- 0.5-1.0% of email addresses are typed incorrectly.
- Fun Fact: Yahoo emails are typed incorrectly twice as often as Gmail.
Emails will always be valid.
Emails will always be owned by the user.
All signups are from a person.
- We have observed hundreds of accounts created in a single day by just one automated system.
Free email addresses aren't used for B2B.
You need to ask for password confirmation.
Third Party Logins
Everyone has a third party account (eg. Google, Facebook or Apple).
People who have a third party account will always login via the button rather than email.
Third party logins have lower conversion rates.
- Auth0 saw increased a 20% increase in conversation rates from using third party logins.
Verification & Abuse
Emails will be verified on the same device the user signed up from.
Blocking emails with "+" in them will solve trial or signup abuse.
- 0.04% of all signups using email include a "+"
- 2.9% of multi-accounting attempts are done using a "+" email
Blocking disposable emails will solve trial or signup abuse.
- The vast majority of multi-accounting is done using multiple regular free email accounts
Blocking free email accounts will solve trial or signup abuse.
- Not only does this send away a lot of legitimate customers, most people conducting trial or signup abuse have access to at least one non-free account
.edu addresses guarantee the person is a student or teacher.
.student.edu or similar addresses guarantee the person is currently a student.
Read the Report: Upollo SOC 2 Type 1
Join the Wave
Ready to revolutionize how you recognize opportunities? Sign up for the waitlist below and be among the first to experience its transformative power when it launches.